Case Study: New York City's Greener, Greater Buildings Plan
Get the free case study for an inside look at how New York's landmark plan was developed, and what you can learn from their successes and challenges.
Download Now (pdf)
The Greener, Greater Buildings Plan is an innovative and scalable package of energy efficiency policies and programs for commercial and multi-family buildings. This case study highlights the plan’s comprehensive approach while distilling lessons learned for other local governments to apply to their planning efforts. The case study is part of the Commercial Energy Policy Toolkit developed by ICLEI and IMT.
Read the case study to learn more about:
- The four Local Laws that make up the core of the plan—how they work and how they complement one another to create a comprehensive approach
- How the plan was developed, including extensive stakeholder outreach
- The challenges of implementing the local laws, including access to data and compliance
- Next steps for New York City, including analyzing data, adding additional building codes, financing new energy efficiency projects, and addressing noncompliance
- Ways to replicate New York City’s success, and key success factors for other cities