ICLEI Consulting and Innovation
Using Innovative R&D Projects to Build our Resources and Tools
In addition to traditional membership benefits, ICLEI offers a range of enhanced technical assistance options to its local government members to help advance their climate protection efforts on a consulting basis. This assistance supports existing commitments and helps build local capacity to deepen reductions of greenhouse gas emissions.
ICLEI’s Consulting and Innovation team provides the following services that complement ICLEI’s Five Milestone framework:
- Greenhouse gas emissions inventory development
- Emissions reduction target setting analysis
- Climate action plan development
- Sustainability plan development
- Quantification of implemented emissions reduction measures
- Performance management and reporting
- Training on ICLEI’s Five Milestones for Climate Mitigation and Sustainability
- Carbon market analyses
- Custom strategy development for emissions reductions and sustainability
Examples of ICLEI’s Consulting and Innovation Experience
- Oakland, CA: Energy & Climate Action Plan
- Washington, D.C.: GHG Emissions Inventory and Climate Action Plan
- Haverford, PA: GHG Emissions Inventory and Climate Action Plan
- Phoenix, AZ: Government Operations Emissions GHG Inventory and Climate Action Plan
- Menlo Park, CA: Government Operations Emissions GHG Inventory and Climate Action Plan
- Richmond, VA: Energy Efficiency and Conservation Strategy
- Silicon Valley Joint Venture, CA: 27 Government Operations Emissions Inventories
- St. Louis County, MO: Energy Efficiency and Conservation Strategy
- Long Island, NY: Regional Greenhouse Gas Emissions Inventory
- Stamford, CT: Developing a sustainability scorecard and quantifying emissions reductions (in progress)
- Sonoma County, CA: Evaluation of local government carbon market opportunities
Have an Innovative Idea for a Project?
The mission of ICLEI’s Consulting and Innovation team is to work with ICLEI members on projects that help them achieve ICLEI’s Five Milestones for Climate Mitigation and Sustainability and help us build our tools, resources, and expertise to better support the ever-growing ICLEI membership network. We seek cutting-edge research and projects to help our members stay at the forefront in climate mitigation and sustainability and to use these opportunities to expand ICLEI’s resources for our membership.
If you have an idea for an innovative consulting project, please contact us!
What Is Involved in a Typical Consulting Project?
Here is an overview of what is involved in a typical consulting project. Depending on the client’s staff availability, budget, and timeline, ICLEI’s Consulting and Innovation team will work with you to develop a scope of work that meets your needs.
GHG Emissions Inventory Development
ICLEI will conduct a greenhouse gas emissions inventory. ICLEI will hold multiple in-person meetings with key stakeholders to launch the project, gather requisite data, and present results. ICLEI will manage data collection and analysis and deliver an emissions inventory report along with a copy of the CACP software containing all data used in the analysis and accompanying notes. Various project components can be added/removed/adjusted at the preference of the local government, including:
- Community-scale Emissions Inventory
- Local Government Operations Emissions Inventory
- Emissions Forecast
- Identification and Quantification of Implemented Emissions Reduction Measures
- Quantification of Criteria Air Pollutant Emissions
Note: Average length of project is 4-6 months
Emissions Inventory Enhanced Assistance
In some cases a local government may desire enhanced training and technical assistance toward completing an emissions inventory, but not require a full turn-key project (e.g., enhanced training needed for an intern, review of data and inventory report). ICLEI can provide support to any aspect of the emissions inventory development process noted above.
Climate Action Plan and Sustainability Plan Development
ICLEI offers to assist local governments in the development of local climate action plans and sustainability plans for effectively and efficiently achieving emissions reduction and sustainability goals at the local government operations and/or community scale. This support can include:
- Strategy and approach development
- Management and coordination of action plan development process
- Engagement of key internal and community stakeholders
- Data gathering and quantification of existing projects and policies
- Quantification and analysis of emissions reduction opportunities
Note: Average length of project is 8-14 months
ICLEI’s Consulting and Innovation team is available to coordinate and/or present on-site or virtual workshops covering various aspects of the 5 Milestone methodology. These workshops are designed to engage key internal and/or external stakeholders to build capacity and momentum around local climate protection efforts. Workshop topics can include:
- Introduction to climate science and the ICLEI Five Milestone Methodology
- Development of emissions inventories (including software training)
- Establishment of emissions reductions targets
- Development of climate action plans (including software training)
- Development of sustainability plans
If you are interested in ICLEI’s Consulting and Innovation Services, please contact
Mike Steinhoff at email@example.com